Are you looking for accounting software? Or just something to "create
invoices" from your current accounting software?

GNUcash (www.gnucash.org) is fairly popular Linux accounting program.
Includes an invoicing function but does not appear to have time
billing.

You may want to take a look at www.opensourceaccountingsoftware.com.
One option, LedgerSMB, is purported to have "time cards" in addition
to other features.

A page I found at http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linuxacct.html names a
couple Linux applications that include time billing - but neither of
them are free (several hundred $).

You could also take a look here:
http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/open-source-accounting-software/
or here: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/tools.htm