On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 12:37 -0600, Don Ellis wrote:
> The _remainder_ of the original warranty? When the Hitachi/IBM drive
> cratered in my old PowerBook 2000 (Pismo), the warranty restarted when
> they replaced it! (at least, that's how I understood it). Hasn't
> failed again, so I haven't been able to test it. Overall, excellent
> warranty support.
>

> Yes, the times they are a-changing...

>From Seagate's confirmation email:

<paste>
Replacement products are factory-repaired units.

Replacements carry the greater of: original warranty balance or 90 days.
</paste>

Still, the original warranty was for 5 years -- most other drives I have
purchased have been 1 to 3 years.  Kind of thinking I may end up just
selling off the replacement, though, given its less-than-sterling
pedigree.  I'm not convinced that "factory-repaired units" are really
rock-solid and reliable.

Theresa