From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steve - this subject is not as off-topic as some might think, since the
process of covering our road network with cameras has parallels with firearms
legislation. As with the latter, people-control by speed camera has a curious
history, unstated agendas, and is inimical to liberty. When first introduced,
it was affirmed by the authorities that cameras were only to be a deterrent -
but unlike the practice in some other countries, ours have always been
camouflaged with drab grey paint, which means that because you can't see
them, you can't be deterred from speeding by them. It also means that they
"catch" more speeding drivers, which raises more money in fines - and
(extraordinary coincidence, this) when a recent change took effect, allowing
police authorities to receive a cut of the fines accruing from speed-cameras,
the number of such fines increased dramatically!
Firearms legislation is supposed to be about reducing armed crime, but is
actually about disarming the civilian populace; speed cameras are supposed to
be about making the roads safer (whether they do is questionable) but have
far more to do with raising revenue, and people-control.
I believe at the last count there were something like four and a half
thousand cameras on our roads, which makes us more closely scrutinised than
any other country in Europe, possibly the world. Have a look at the
Association of British Drivers' very interesting website for facts & figures,
including a county-by-county index of speed camera locations - I found
cameras in my area that I didn't know about...
Incidentally, Charles Parker's reference to Transport 2000 is interesting too
- though bigger than the GCN (it could hardly be smaller) it is a very small
lobbying group which nevertheless includes some household names and which
seems to punch above its weight. It has been described as anti-car, and is
heavily biased in favour of the Luddite, authoritarian politics of
metropolitan lefties and eco-fascists.
--
I thought the firearms legislation had always been about disarming
people.  I know in the debate in 1920 they started off saying

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]