From:   "niel fagan", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IG
>ARV crews are volunteers. They have to perform normal duties alongside
>their
>armed role and switch from one to the other at the drop of a hat.
Agreed, though some do relish their gun handling rights.

>There is so much antagonism between police and shooters that everyone tends
>to forget that there are many officers who are private shooters and have
>suffered in the same way as everyone else.
Also true, the best ARV guys I've met have all been shooters off-duty,
though in hampshire previous shooting experience always counted against
becoming an AFO in the past.

Steve
>And if
>we are going to have coppers riding around in Range Rovers, enough
>of this idiotic policy of having the guns locked in a box.  I
>remember something on the TV showing two Nottingham officers having
>to unlock a box and take out their revolvers.
>
>If they are supposedly trained in the use of a firearm, surely they
>are capable of carrying one without accidentally shooting
>themselves?

Wiltshire seemed to be able to have their smiths strapped on without a
problem, though why I could never understand (its quite a rural county,
though the army and the farmers have LOTs of guns).

Perception, thats the problem from both sides, law abiding people don't
expect harassment, nor should those in power preach the same 1918-1919
doctrine about guns in private hands. Its very much a case of the police
being piggy in the middle (no pun intended) between the people and the
government (especially those unelected whitehall types who really do fear
the people).

niel

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]