From:   "John Hurst", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>What constitutes law abiding?
>Someone never convicted or someone never caught?

>"E.J. Totty"
>Your comment above, IG, either demonstrates
>your mind set, or the manner in which UK cops think
>of their fellow citizens.
>In my book, if you ain't under arrest, or being
>pursued, they you is as legal as legal can be. And no man
>has any authority to cast doubt upon you without reason.

IG,
      Quite so, the presumption of innocence is the fundamental common law
right;

"The right which every man has to his character, the value of that character
to himself and his family, and the evil consequences that would result to
society if charges of guilt were lightly entertained, or readily established
in Courts of justice:- these are the real considerations which have led to
the adoption of the rule that all imputations of crime must be strictly
proved."

"Taylor Upon Evidence".

"Throughout the web of the English criminal law one golden thread is always
to be seen, that it is the duty of the prosecution to prove the prisoner's
guilt...No matter what the charge or where the trial, the principle that the
prosecution must prove the guilt of the prisoner is part of the common law
of England and no attempt to whittle it down can be entertained."

                                                Stones Justice's Manual.
Preface to 1990 Edition.

You do know that don't you?

Regards, John Hurst.