From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 > Picture a British subject walking down the street and witnessing
> a horrible accident.  He rushes over and tries bravely to try
> and free the victim before the car bursts into flame.  A stout
> knife would enable him to cut the seat belt but he has none.

> Another scenario:  the same person is walking with his child
> when a pit bull terrier attacks the tyke.  A bit of pepper
> spray or a knife could enable him to remove the dog from the
> child's throat before the jugular is severed.  Pity - he has
> none.

I can see where you are coming from but these aren't
very good examples. Set belts have little red buttons to
push to release them and I doubt very much that a Knife
or a pepper spray wil have a very swift effect on a Pit Bull.
Besides which you can carry a knife here as long as the
cutting edge dosen't ecceed 3 inches (not  lock Knife
though). As far as I understand this rule has been taken
to ridiculous lengths in that in the case of knives with
blades like those on the Spyder Co ones, it was deemed
that the "cutting edge" was to be measured not simply
from hilt to point but rather to include all the extra length
that you get from the curves on the serrations. So if you
have one that meausres just under 3 inches from hilt to
tip then it may actually be over 3 inches  when you
include all the wavy bits on the blade. I'm sure there is
case precident for this, or possibly Home Office
guidence, perhaps others can shead more lighgt on this
one?

> I use a knife 5-10 times a day for much more (thank god)
> mundane tasks.  A British subject would be prohibited
> from any of these options on the ridiculous premise
> that criminals will respect this and refrain from
> carrying similar weapons.

Only if it's over 3 inches or is a lock knife.

Jonathan Laws.
--
Or a switchblade or a butterfly knife or a Stanley knife
or anything other than an "ordinary pocket knife".

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]