From:   "David M", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ISSUE 2064 Thursday 18 January 2001

  Ban predicted within two years
By Peter Foster

ANTI-HUNT campaigners predicted that a ban on hunting would become a reality
within two years.
The RSPCA, the League Against Cruel Sports and the International Fund for
Animal Welfare said last night's vote was a major step towards ending the
"senseless cruelty" of hunting. Although accepting that the Bill would not
become law in this Parliament, the League Against Cruel Sports was confident
that Labour would make a manifesto commitment to allow a ban to go through
in the next.

Andrew Wasley, a spokesman for the league, said: "Allowing for a year's
grace, the last packs of hounds should then be wound up by the autumn of
2002. This vote is the beginning of the end for hunting."

The RSPCA added its support. "As far we are concerned, a complete ban is the
only acceptable option. There can be no compromise on cruelty to animals.
The majority of people want hunting banned and we hope and expect that MPs
will recognise this. The earlier a ban is brought into force, the better.
That should be achievable within two years. There is no place for hunting in
a modern society."

Rallies were staged outside the House of Commons and in Suffolk, Wales and
Cornwall, before the hounds and riders set off in the frost for a day's
hunting. At several meetings hunt followers promised to defy the ban even if
it meant going to jail. Their threats were dismissed by the anti-hunting
groups as "a final, futile gesture". The RSPCA said massing packs into
superhunts was a "last sign of desperation".

However, in many rural areas hunt leaders talked of taking drastic action if
the ban was forced through in the next parliament.
--
I don't pretend to be an expert on fox hunting, but surely if it is banned
there will be no reason for farmers and so on to maintain the areas used

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01