Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> Exchange the while loop using an iffy read construct to a for loop using a
>> temporary file.
>
> I think this change from zero-delimited to whitespace means this will
> now fail to handle any filenames containing whitespace correctly?

Yes, sorry.  I thought whitespace in filenames wasn't working anyway,
but at least here it was done correctly.

> This commentary doesn't clearly identify what is wrong with the usage
> of read here.

The read itself was OK, piping the data from find into the read wasn't.
I've replaced this with a process substitution and thus reinstated the
whitespace protection without getting into subshell trouble.

>> avoid filename collisions by using an
>>     SHA256 hash of the full file name.
>
> I think there is already a perfectly good, filesystem safe,
> computationally cheap unique identifier for each filename, which is
> it's ordinal number in the list of filenames we are examining.

I've implemented a counter now.  However I don't see the hashing of a
filename as onerous when Git does that much more often and on much
larger data.

> 'wait -f' seems to be new in bash 5.0.  I assume this fails horribly
> on earlier bash versions.  I'm ok with requiring that, but maybe we
> should check the bash version?

It should indeed be possible to drop the -f as long as job control is not
enabled if I understand the manual correctly after re-reading it several
times.  I've done that and it looks like things still work.

> On the plus side, the testsuite passes! :)

Oh goody!

Regards,
Achim.