On 03/05/2023 23:01, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 5/3/2023 8:19 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport, setup wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).

I just tried a second experiment (with a new installation).  I chose base plus perl-Test-Harness.  Setup didn't report any problems; it simply added perl 5.32, and I let it complete the installation.  I then ran setup again, and the Pending view of the Select Packages page showed perl being upgraded to 5.36 and perl-Test-Harness being uninstalled.

So setup ended up doing the right thing with respect to the obsolete package, but it needed two passes.

Finally, I reran setup and chose cygport for installation.  This went through without a hitch.

I took the perl-Test-Harness dependency off automake (since Achim told me it was unneeded) around 21:00 UTC on the 03-05-2023

To me, it seems like both that, and an updated texinfo, were needed before installing cygport was possible, but I don't really understand why.

(There's definitely a problematic dependency chain cygport -> automake -> automake1.* -> texinfo -> versioned perl which we need to be aware of in future when rebuilding texinfo for updated perl)

I also noticed that the latest version of libsolv has a new API for getting the solver to explain it's decisions, so it might be nice at some stage to add some code to setup to use that and write what it says to the log (and then maybe go back and see what it says about the problematic circa).