On 06/05/2023 19:31, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
On 5/6/2023 9:34 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
(There's definitely a problematic dependency chain cygport -> automake -> automake1.* -> texinfo -> versioned perl which we need to be aware of in future when rebuilding texinfo for updated perl)

In addition to the dependencies above, there's actually a direct dependency cygport -> texinfo.

Doh, right!

I was aware of this when rebuilding texinfo, after an initial failed attempt using SCALLYWAG.  The way I dealt with it was to forcibly update perl, ignoring setup's warnings.  I don't know if there's a better way to handle this in the future.  Maybe temporarily (or permanently?) remove those dependencies on texinfo?

I think perhaps that maybe making those dependencies of cygport 'suggests'/'recommended' (if we implemented that) rather than 'depends', as that would let the solver consider solutions without those packages installed.

I think would be ok, as texinfo doesn't actually require itself to build?

(There are perhaps a few packages which do have a real self-build-dep, but those are probably harder to build anyhow, and it should be explicitly recorded in build-requires?)