> That way I'm sure I won't have any surprises with permissions when working in
> /cygdrive/g/cygwin.  Do you want to try that and see if it makes a difference?

I have no problems with /cygdrive/g/cygwin -- my socket file gets created there
with proper
permissions and reported so, too (both fstat and stat).

I have problems with the socket file that gets created under any subdirectory
of that
directory IFF that subdirectory was created from under Cygwin (!) -- like with
a shell command.
Creating the socket file in a subdirectory created by Windows works!  Isn't
that weird?

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI