there is research from all sorts of people in this area. It falls under
the term "Ad-hoc networking".  Google "Ad-hoc mobile network" and
perhaps add in "routing" for more specificity.

You have a different cost metric for the communications between nodes
than the mobile people do - and they have all sorts of other things like
device power and such to worry about.  But here's a nodal point :

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Aggelou/MANET_PUBLICATIONS.html

I seem to remember that efficient routing for cluster sizes of up to
1000 nodes was well proven (this was research from AT&T).

Some sort of group effort in this direction would be interesting.  I
would help.

~~m