Ben Laurie wrote:
> "James B. DiGriz" wrote:
>
>>Jim Choate wrote:
>>
>>>Draw a picture. If you don't have a place to post it I can arrange a page
>>>gratis.
>>>
>>>You take three nodes.
>>>
>>>Arrange them in a ring/triangle. Each node branches to 295(?) other nodes
>>>(making it a member of three 100 node subnets - somehow these numbers
>>>don't add up). It's not clear if those are a 'one to many' branch or if
>>>that node simply has two links to two other nodes in the ring (which has a
>>>total of 100 nodes). And where did the '2 other triangles' come from? We
>>>start with a single triange that is a member of a larger set the nodes of
>>>which are the members of a -two triangle- set? Why is 'our' triangle
>>>'single'?
>>>
>>>Is this a 'big version' of the 'Caveman World'?
>>>

>>The evil triangles have been banished for now. I played with graphviz
>>for a while last night and it's easy enough to see that this is a torus.
>

> Surely not - in a torus you have loops of nodes, whereas here we have
> each node directly connected to 99 others in each segment. It may be a
> bit like a torus, but it isn't one. Spose it might be a set of
> interconnected 100-dimensional toruses (my head hurts).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html       http://www.thebunker.net/
>
> "There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he
> doesn't mind who gets the credit." - Robert Woodruff

Yes, that's what was throwing me, too, and why I couldn't reconcile
1,000,000 with the three segments. The connections to the other 297
nodes. This means you have 100 cycles for each segment. In an ordinary
torus there's only one.

Am I wrong or isn't this just the hypercube anolog for a torus, that is,
a hypertorus. If not I suppose you'd just have to call it a polycyclic
torus.

It does provide a small diameter for such a large number of nodes.

jbdigriz