sMIME will always be hampered by Certificate Authority issues.

PGP is large and complex.  Version problems are bound to
increase as some users will remain divided between PGPdesktop,
PGPfreeware, and OpenPGP.  Still others will want historic
versions or ckt builds.  Older versions are limited by key
sizes and algorithm selections, while newer versions are prone
to version problems.

Simple 3rd Party options are important and must always be
available..  I am developing a free program and simple
specification - http://www.opencrypto.com - that integrates
public key crypto into a basic SMTP program.  I agree with Tim
that it is perhaps best to settle on a single assymetric
algorithm (RSA/DH/EC) and a single symmetric algorithm
(3DES/AES/2FISH).  Perhaps as every 2 to 5 years the algorithms
could be replaced or key lengths increased (if necessary),
without adding a extensive feature or significant complexity.

And James, although the best standard may win, a lack of viable
alternatives is unhealthy.