On Sunday, March 31, 2002, at 03:08  PM, David Shaw wrote:
(Adam Back's tale elided)

> I sympathize with your problems, but frankly (and I suspect you know
> this, despite your justified irritation) some of the problems you had
> are well beyond the scope of "PGP compatibility".  It's not a flaw in
> PGP compatibility that PGP5.x won't compile cleanly any longer because
> of changes to your build platform, nor is it a flaw in PGP
> compatibility that some buggy program you were working with ate your
> PGP 2.x keyring files.

However, there's something deeply ironic when comparing the "RSA in 4
lines of Perl" work by none other than Adam Back to the present
situation, where creeping featureitus has given us multiple branches of
the PGP tree and the long list of incompatibilities and
non-backwards-compatible behavior.

P.S. The .sig in David Shaw's message is funny, but of course false:

>    "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and
> UNIX.
>       We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson

Switzerland and New Jersey, with major detours for LSD in the Boston
area (early studies, then Leary and Company, later) and then later in
San Francisco and the overall Bay Area.

(Menlo Park and Palo Alto NEQ Berkeley, BTW.)

Still, a funny .sig.

--Tim May
"The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the
people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some
rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no
majority has a right to deprive them of." -- Albert Gallatin of the New
York Historical Society, October 7, 1789