On 10 Apr 2002 at 13:43, Sunder wrote:

> I've had several dozen of these (stamp and other vending machines provided
> them as change here in NYC), and kept only one.

You're not supposed to keep currency, you're supposed to spend it.
I generally prefer the bills to coins, because the coins make an
annoying jjingle jangle and also wear out my pockets.

>They're horrible.  Sure,
> they look like gold when you get them but they oxidize quickly when
> handled and look worse than old pennies.
>
> Serves the mint right for trying to pass what clearly is a slap in the
> face of anyone who remembers that the US currency was at one time
> tethered to actual gold.

Now that everyone knows that even coins are only of symbolic
value, I don't see why they don't make them out of plastic.
They'd be lighter, clink less, they could come in all sorts of
pretty colors, and as long as they use a good quality plastic they
shouldn't wear out too fast.

OTOH, it'd be kind of embarrassing if wooden nickles
were made from a highre quality material than
"real ones".  But they'd probably stop calling them nickles if
they didn't have any nickle at all in them and didn't
even look like nickle.

George