Er, I hit "send" prematurely, and I meant to go on to say that I have
often used 1 or 200 UKP in folding money - it is easy to do with
universal availability of ATMs. If anything I use more cash than I did
15 years ago because it is so simple to get hold of. And saves the
bother of waiting while they go online to validate the credit card if
the latest series of Buffy on video exceeds the floor limit at the shop.

Of course that doesn't apply to genuinely expensive items. I'm not sure
I ever spend more than maybe 200 UKP (300 USD) in cash at one time.

Ken