[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>     --
>On 13 May 2002 at 22:34, Richard Fiero wrote:
> > As the article excerpted below states, in 2001 there was about
> > $620 billion dollars in US currency out there somewhere and 65%
> > was in $100 dollar bills.
>
>Presumably most of those $100 bills are changing hands in
>suitcases and brown paper bags, exposing the owners to
>considerable personal risk in each transaction.  However, in many
>countries, most for example Argentina, the government routinely
>engages in bank robbery, making the banking system pretty much
>unusable.
>
>Many of those holders of bags of $100 bills would find a quiet
>electronic version very handy.  . . .

As the article points out, $1 million fits in a briefcase
nicely but the Euro's largest denomination is 500 which will
allow $1 million to fit into a purse. From the article:
" I am not an expert in cryptography, but I think it may take
quite a while to devise an electronic money that guarantees
anonymity in the same way that cash does."