----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rosing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Are you now admitting TCPA is broken?

I freely admit that I haven't made it completely through the TCPA
specification. However it seems to be, at least in effect although not
exactly, a motherboard bound smartcard.

Because it is bound to the motherboard (instead of the user) it can be used
for various things, but at the heart it is a smartcard. Also because it
supports the storage and use of a number of private RSA keys (no other type
supported) it provides some interesting possibilities.

Because of this I believe that there is a core that is fundamentally not
broken. It is the extensions to this concept that pose potential breakage.
In fact looking at Page 151 of the TCPA 1.1b spec it clearly states (typos
are mine) "the OS can be attacked by a second OS replacing both the
SEALED-block encryption key, and the user database itself." There are
measures taken to make such an attack cryptographically hard, but it
requires the OS to actually do something.

Suspiciously absent though is the requirement for symmetric encryption (page
4 is easiest to see this). This presents a potential security issue, and
certainly a barrier to its use for non-authentication/authorization
purposes. This is by far the biggest potential weak point of the system. No
server designed to handle the quantity of connections necessary to do this
will have the ability to decrypt/sign/encrypt/verify enough data for the
purely theoretical universal DRM application.

The second substantial concern is that the hardware is substantially limited
in the size of the private keys, being limited to 2048 bits, the second
concern is that it is additionally bound to SHA-1. Currently these are both
sufficient for security, but in the last year we have seen realistic claims
that 1500 bit RSA may be subject to viable attack (or alternately may not
depending on who you believe). While attacks on RSA tend to be spread a fair
distance apart, this never the less puts 2048 bit RSA at fairly close to the
limit of security, it would be much preferable to support 4096-bit RSA from
a security standpoint. SHA-1 is also currently near its limit. SHA-1 offer
2^80 security, a value that it can be argued may be too small for long term
security.

For the time being TCPA seems to be unbroken, 2048-bit RSA is sufficient,
and SHA-1 is used as a MAC for important points. For the future though I
believe these choices may prove to be a weak point in the system, for those
that would like to attack the system, these are the prime targets. The
secondary targets would be forcing debugging to go unaddressed by the OS,
which since there is no provision for smartcard execution (except in
extremely small quantities just as in a smartcard) would reveal very nearly
everything (including the data desired).
                    Joe