Why the hell would anyone use lotus notes encryption for anything whatsoever?

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:37:52AM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> OK, let's assume for the same of argument that it takes about 1 minute for
> Echelon/NSA-like resources to break a weakly encypted lotus notes message.
> And then let's assume that there's a whole LOT of these machines sitting
> somewhere.
>
> And as the grumpy Tim May has suggested, perhaps only a small fraction of
> encrypted messages are (or can be) sent for decryption.
>
> Then the expenditure of such resources is going to be a big statistical
> optimization problem, akin to that faced in the credit card industry (eg,
> in approving or declining a POS transaction).
>
> The gub'mint or whatever doing such monitoring will therefore probably look
> for certain signs that will kick off decryption. For instance, the sporadic
> use of cryptography in cetain demogrpahic areas might cause a % of those to
> be sent over for routine check, particularly if there is no encryption used
> by that populace, and then all of a sudden there are bursts.
>
> Also, changing the strength of encryption might be a kickoff, but again I
> reveal I am a newbie with this question: Is it possible to determine (at
> least approximately) the strength of encryption of an intercepted message?
>
> Then, if someone from, say, the b'Arbes neighborhood of Paris moves
> suddenly from weak to strong encryption in his messaging, that would kick
> off a flag somewhere sending that message for cracking.
>
> So if a bin Laden were smart, he should routinely use encryption for all of
> his messages, even the most trivial, because the change in pattern would be
> a tipoff to send his encrypted messages for hacking.
>
> And the there are probably less obvious, large-scale statistical patterns
> indicating something's up, and causing a % of such messages to be hacked
> and then sent for routine check for key words.
>

> >From: Adam Back <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Tyler Durden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Echelon-like...
> >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:41:21 +0100
> >
> >Sounds about right.  64 bit crypto in the "strong" version (which is
> >not that strong -- the distributed.net challenge recently broke a 64
> >bit key), and in the export version 24 of those 64 bits were encrypted
> >with an NSA backdoor key, leaving only 40 bits of key space for the
> >NSA to bruteforce to recover messages.
> >
> >The NSA's backdoor public key is at the URL below.
> >
> >     http://www.cypherspace.org/~adam/hacks/lotus-nsa-key.html
> >
> >(The public key had an Organization name of "MiniTruth", and a Common
> >Name of "Big Brother" -- both Orwell "1984" references, presumably by
> >a lotus programmer).
> >
> >Adam
> >
> >On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 02:34:38PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> >> "I assume everyone knows the little arrangement that lotus
> >> reached with the NSA over its encrypted secure email?"
> >>
> >> I'm new here, so do tell if I am wrong. Are you referring to the two
> >levels
> [...]

Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix
http://www.cybershamanix.com

"War is just a racket ... something that is not what it seems to the
majority of people. Only a small group knows what its about. It is
conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the
masses."  --- Major General Smedley Butler, 1933

"Our overriding purpose, from the beginning through to the present
day, has been world domination - that is, to build and maintain the
capacity to coerce everybody else on the planet: nonviolently, if
possible, and violently, if necessary. But the purpose of US foreign
policy of domination is not just to make the rest of the world jump
through hoops; the purpose is to faciliate our exploitation of
resources."
- Ramsey Clark, former US Attorney General