On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Tyler Durden wrote:

> "And of course you can package 'strong' encryption into a 'weak' encryption
> envelope, so you will only know that 'strong' encryption has been used after
> you've broken the 'weak' envelope."
>
> Oh yeah. Interesting. Of course, this would be done only if the sender knew
> or supected how mass-scanning might be done. And so the existence of another

Come on, do the math. There's a lot of traffic travelling all over the
world right now. The volume still grows, albeit not at the projected
hyperexponential rate. Assuming you don't tap decentrally (because that
amount of hardware is a bit hard to hide, and thus hampered by such silly
things like warrants (even rubberstamped), and feds installing boxes in
ISPs racks and issuing gagging orders to abovementioned), you use the fact
that the network topology is mostly a tree (so make it a mesh, then), and
tap high speed lines (fiber). While I assume that there you can screen and
filter if it's cleartext with lots of dedicated hardware, you're
absolutely screwed if it's even 'weak' encryption. At these data rates
you'll have trouble even computing the entropy of the data stream as it
streams through your FIFO. Storing all of it is impractical, so you have
to restrict yourself to extremely targeted (by source/origin, or the tag,
assuming there is one).

> level of heavier encryption (see next paragraph) might be a tip off that
> this is not simply a financial transaction.

1) while I haven't done the numbers I would say there's maybe 10-20% of
   all traffic that is 'weak' encryption vs. 90-80% 'strong' encryption.
   Even if it's as bad as 50%/50% it is still completely irrelevant.

2) to tell whether there's something inside you have to break it. That's
   why I consistenly say 'weak' instead of weak.

> But, it occurs to me that in some cases what might be done to determine the
> presence of hard encryption is for hardward to attempt to decrypt it for a
> certain fixed time, and if there's no success with X
> minutes/hours/milliseconds or whatever, then one assigns a certain

Or days, months, years, centuries, or whatever. On several megabucks worth
of hardware.

> probability that said message has been encrypted using something stronger
> than the International version of Bogus Notes (for instance). But of course,

Why should we concern ourselves with users of broken crypto? It's their
problem, not ours. Since they're but a fraction, the use of strong crypto
all by itself (assuming, you can tell, which is a high threhold) is not
incriminating.