"And of course you can package 'strong' encryption into a 'weak' encryption
envelope, so you will only know that 'strong' encryption has been used after
you've broken the 'weak' envelope."

Oh yeah. Interesting. Of course, this would be done only if the sender knew
or supected how mass-scanning might be done. And so the existence of another
level of heavier encryption (see next paragraph) might be a tip off that
this is not simply a financial transaction.

But, it occurs to me that in some cases what might be done to determine the
presence of hard encryption is for hardward to attempt to decrypt it for a
certain fixed time, and if there's no success with X
minutes/hours/milliseconds or whatever, then one assigns a certain
probability that said message has been encrypted using something stronger
than the International version of Bogus Notes (for instance). But of course,
I'm willing to concede that at his point I'm talking completely out of my
arse. (That will change when I get time to do some real homework in this
area, however.)