If I remember correctly, right after the WTC attack one of the grocery chains, I think
it
was Safeway, immediately offered it's customer lists to the FBI. What were they going
to do profile people who bought excessive amounts of chick peas, garlic and lemons?

Albertson's has recently returned to the stupid card but I notice that there is a
checkbox
that says you do not wish to give personal information. Fine. Of course you then lose
the fantastic benefit of possibly having lost car keys returned via your friendly
neighborhood grocery.

It's all marketing bull with the added benefit of of contributing to that giant
database in
the sky.