Tim May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 09:49  AM, Kevin Elliott wrote:
>>At 12:12 -0500  on  12/31/02, Adam Shostack wrote:
>>>Rummaging through my wallet...a grocery card in the name of Hughes, a
>>>credit card with the name Shostack, and an expired membership card in
>>>the name Doe.
>>
>>Interesting point on grocery cards... Why do they have your name at
>>all?  Every grocery card I've ever gotten they've said "here's your
>>card and application, please fill out the application and mail it in".
>>I say "thank you ma'am", walk out the door and toss the "application"
>>in the trash.  Not exactly strong (or any) name linkage...
>
>* No store I have used has ever _checked_ that a name is "valid"...they
>don't even care when my credit card or check says "Timothy C. May" but
>my Customer Courtesy Card says J. Random Cypher, or Eric Hughes, or
>Vlad the Impaler...or is just unattached to any name.

I was book-shopping with a friend a few years back when he remembered he had a
discount card for that store.  In front of the person at the checkout, he
pulled a large stack of the store's discount cards out of his pocket, picked
one at random from the pile, and handed it to her.  She didn't bat an eyelid,
nor was she concerned that he had the cards and I was buying the books.  Not
My Problem.

Peter.