Somebody said,
> Frankly, if using my card saves me $10 on a roast,
> it's hard for me not to think it's a good exchange..

Hogwash.  It's not saving customers anything at all.

Same gimmick as credit cards.  Take away a percentage
from noncard-holders and give it to the cardholders.

What economic efficiency or productivity could these
cards actually achieve??

One cannot argue, "Identity cards enable the store to
improve product mix thereby improving service" because
the chains have adequate cash register data.

I don't think the cards are achieving *anything* except
a carveout from the customers themselves. First of all
they get a dollar, from day one, by selling our personal
information to other corporations.  That is pure profit,
after a low-cost software module on their card reader.

The rest of the payoff comes from calculating YOUR
behavior in order to stick their knife deeper into you.
The cards strengthen their pricing power against YOU.
For example, avoid offering discounts for things you
are going to buy anyway.   Watch and see-- in a couple
of years there will be "Dynamic Pricing."  You'll find
out you're paying higher prices on bread than the guy
next to you!!   But in the meantime they will jsut use
the data to confuse you to death, changing prices and
unit sizes and locations of everything in the store, so
it's impossible to comparison shop.

Consumers should begin to request our purchase history
(so we can submit it to regional grocery auctions, competing
chains, comparison websites, etc.)   The chains will say
"HELL NO, are you kidding?"   That will show why they
are really installing the cards!   guffaws!

What's needed is a little embedded linux device with a cheap
scanner, where shoppers can pay a dime, insert their receipt,
and receive their shopping list in XML format, by email.  Thise
should be in front of every store, between the pay phone,
the coinstar, photo kiosks, etc.

I believe it would become clear, grocery stores are as much
an information phenomenon as logistical one.  Direct supply
by producers to residences, for some commodities would
become economically possible. You'd have a critical mass
of information.

Todd Boyle cpa kirkland wa www.gldialtone.com
a rant a day keeps the clients away