At 08:35 PM 1/8/2003 -0800, Michael Cardenas wrote:
I think you're overreacting a bit. The actual case involves someone
who was in a foriegn country for years, and was in the war zone at the
time he was fighting the US.

The ruling says that he was "squarely in teh war zone" and discusses
the issue that he hda been out of the US for a long time.
But how could he be in a "war zone" when there is no declared war? If the President orders our troops into a region does that now become a de facto declaration of war?

steve

....if America were tempted to ''become the dictatress of the world, she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.'' What empires lavish abroad, they cannot spend on good republican government at home: on hospitals or roads or schools. A distended military budget only aggravates America's continuing failure to keep its egalitarian promise to itself.
-- John Quincy Adams (extended)