At 07:42 AM 3/20/03 -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
The story you are telling is part of a big commie lie -- that
the US aided the bigoted Taliban against the elightened
communists who created a constitutional democracy where every
man and every women have a vote, and universal education and
health care were guaranteed, etc.

I guess the particular Commie lie I'd always heard along these lines was more like "the US aided a lot of crazed, bloodthirsty bandit chieftains who were nominally anti-communist, and deeply anti-invading-Russians, some of whom later wound up being Taliban bandit chieftains." I haven't dug into this story to see if it's true, but I certainly don't recall ever being exposed to the idea that the invading Russians and their allies were anything but brutal and nasty. We have a long history of holding our noses and handing weapons to objectionable folks who seem likely to help us fight our fights or accomplish our objectives. Surely it's not too hard to think of current examples....

    --digsig
         James A. Donald

--John Kelsey, [EMAIL PROTECTED]