Tim Wrote:

> With no chance for evacuation, and with a one-fifth of a mile high
> building toppling sideways, fatalities might have reached 30,000 or
> more.

I'm not a structural engineer, but given that lateral structural strength
is likely only a fraction of vertical structural strength, it doesn't seem
to me that a tower like the WTC can do anything but collapse downwards.

One would think that when you began to tip it, it would fall apart long
before you got the center of gravity where it didn't lie over the base.

Can a skyscraper really tip over intact, and flatten a distance on the
ground equal to its height?

Perhaps John Young could leap in here with a professional opinion.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+