John Kelsey wrote...

I think the reality is a bit different.  The random searches
won't keep someone who's planning an attack from trying to
carry it out, but it may delay their attack, if they made
plans based on the old security setup, not the new one.  It
may also convince them to shift the attack to a new target.

--John

Well, I think even this is rather optimistic.
This morning I took the LIRR into Penn Station, where random searches were being performed (I didn't actually see one). The silly damn thing is that the searches are done -there-, in Penn Station, rather than at the outlying stations. "Is that a b-o-m-b, sir?" "Sure is"...KABOOM. And down comes Madison Square Garden and a major transportation hub.

And for this silly shit we sacrificed our civil rights?