At 5:45 PM -0700 4/28/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 18:08 4/28/2000 -0400, Matthew Gaylor wrote:
>>The reason I post and how and what I post are decisions made by
>>myself.  Judging from the thousands of subscribers and the large
>>number of thank yous I get for posting material, I don't think I'm
>>going to change one iota the manner, frequency or content of what I
>>choose to say or post.  I could list the positive results of my
>>activism, but your request makes me suspicious.
>
>Matt: Tim is not singling you out. Perhaps he's just getting
>crotchety nowadays, but Tim has been complaining for years about the
>number of you-need-to-see-this forwarded messages that folks
>crosspost to cypherpunks. The web seems a better distribution
>mechanism for them. I don't believe Tim is complaining about your
>freematt list that you're talking about above ("thousands of
>subscribers") -- but your crossposts to four or five other mailing
>lists at at time.

Exactly. Those who want to read Matthew Gaylor's personal selection
of important articles should subscribe to his list with his editorial
selections.

Likewise, those who want to read forwarded articles from Hettinga can
read his aptly-named "e$spam" (or somesuch). Gaylor has his list, so,
as both Declan and Phill Hallam-Baker have mentioned, those who want
to read Gaylor's clippings can subscribe to his list.

Ah, but apparently "not enough" people subscribe to Gaylor's, Avon's,
Payne's, etc. spam lists, so they are spamming _other_ lists.

The problem is that many of the proselytizers, like Avon, Gaylor,
etc., believe that since adding mailing list addresses is free and
easy, they should do so. Hence Gaylor spams several lists with his
forwarded clippings, Avon spams a dozen or more with his.

Enough. If they persist, Technical Means should be used to shut their
e-mail addresses down. A gigabyte a day might do it. If not, up it.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.