At 8:34 PM -0400 7/23/00, Greg Vassie wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 09:55:08AM -1000, Reese wrote:
>>  At 11:18 PM 22/07/00 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>>
>>   >Last I checked, the U.S. Constitution doesn't say a damn word about
>>   >my civil rights being lost because I refuse to take a loyalty oath or
>>   >because I refuse to denounce some members of a group I may have once
>>   >belonged to or may even still belong to.
>>
>>  Excellent red herring.  Again, this didn't occur inside the US, it
>>  occurred in JAPAN - where they don't have the US Constitution, where
>>  the reigning government does not recognize civil rights as we under-
>>  stand them.  Nice also, how you try to lump me in with Hua.
>
>Japan may not have the US constitution, but their current constitution
>was written by the US government in 1946.  The American concepts of
>civil rights are most definitely a part of the Japanese constitution.
>For those who may be interested:
>
>A short history of the Japanese constitution:
>
>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/peopleevents/pandeAMEX102.html
>
>Text of the Japanese constitution:
>
>http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/law/ja00000_.html

And the larger issue is that, regardless of specific constitutions in
specific countries, Reese is clearly arguing for "guilt by
association." Aum members are guilty of the crimes of some other Aum
members unless they renounce their beliefs and repudiate the
organization. Muslims are guilty of the crimes--including terorrism
on a larger scale than the Aumsters have ever managed to pull
off!--unless they renounce Islam and repudiate the mullahs and
sultans and satraps. And so on, for hundreds of such examples.

Ernest Hua is arguing a weaker form of this, that those who do not
repudiate the publication of the FBI agents' names are complicit in
some way in acts of possible violence.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.