On 08/24/2016 02:43 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:20:35PM -0600, Mirimir wrote:

>> So just what was so offensive? "Rapey Jakey"? I thought that was pretty
>> funny :)
>
> Although it's good to be able to reach a point of being able to laugh
> about 'tough' topics, this phrase, in this context implies "I agree with
> the lynch mob rhetoric".

I agree that Sean was using the phrase that way. But I can laugh at the
phrase without taking any position on the matter. It's just so fucking
self-satirical. The lynch mob does objectify him as "Rapey Jakey", no?

> It also condones the linguistic undermine and implicit compromise of
> those who have suffered actual rape, and encourages the social discourse
> in a direction which I personally find offensive and I say fosters an
> environment where actual rape is more likely to be brushed aside with
> "humour", and therefore makes the social environment more dangerous
> generally.
>
> That's a really bad thing.

No, the behavior of the lynch mob does that. But anyway, I prefer humor
to earnest self-righteousness.

> If JA committed rape, which he and others deny, then there -should- (say
> I) be a proper process for his victims to address their grievance.
> Nothing remotely like "addressing genuine grievances" has happened.
> And in this case, using the phrase "Rapey Jakey" at the moment in this
> context, linguistically encourages us to diminish such rape.

That's too simplistic. What does "rape" mean? I seriously doubt that
Jake held a knife to anyone's throat. He reportedly fucked many people,
often while drunk, stoned, etc. In such dubious circumstances, it may be
impossible to distinguish consensual sex and rape. If both parties are
too out of it to consent, who raped who?

> If JA did not rape anyone, then "Rapey Jakey" slanders him personally -
> I don't understand why you find that humorous, but I guess if you guys
> want to laugh about it, that's your right.

:)

> In either case, this use of the word "rapey" is to me offensive and
> really not in our nor anyone's interest.

I'm worried more about rape accusations in the call-out culture.