On 08/28/2016 04:38 PM, jim bell wrote:

>  From: "trep...@sigaint.org" <trep...@sigaint.org>
>> I think you misinterpreted me, I am not defending planned economy, The
>> cooperation that I was referring to is between market agents to form
>> cartels and extract the most value from their product. The mathematical
>> fact comes from game theory. There is a strong incentive for market agents
>> to collude and control the price. Once one small group of cartels controls
>> the market, it is impossible to other agents to enter.
> I think that what you don't realize is that it is very difficult to keep
> everyone outof a market...unless this restriction is actually assisted by
> some government.  Imentioned the Epi-Pen problem, where the price was
> increased by about a factorof 5 recently.  How could they get away with that?
>  EASY, because the FDA had refused to approve a competing product.Also, the
> case of Daraprim, in which the price of that drug was raised by about a
> factor of 56.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Shkreli
> That drug, I think, was actually off-patent, which to an ordinary person
> implies that just anyone can come in and make that product, competing with the
> sole manufacturer.   As the late John Belushi would have said, "BUT
> NOOOOOOO!"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4JfaHjAng
> Turns out that the FDA prohibited other companies from manufacturing
> andselling Daraprim, despite the expiration of the patent.
> See how this works?  Restricting markets is EASY when you have government on
> your side.  Restricting markets is very difficult when you don't.
> Restrictions such as this are virtually invisible to the ordinary consumer.
> All theysee is the price of the product going up.  They don't know why.

Well, without regulation, you have assholes adulterating sugar with lead
acetate, just because it happens to cost less. That used to be fairly
common, back in the day. Or assholes spiking their "vodka" with
methanol. Or assholes spiking their "heroin" with fentanyl, or whatever
opiate agonist they can get cheapest. Or assholes spiking their dried
milk with melamine, to boost apparent protein content. Etc etc etc.

I suppose that AP could handle that. But many customers will get fucked
up before bids get high enough to take out sellers. Or we could have
private enforcement handle regulation. Regulation as a service ;)