Tim wrote:

> Not having read the article, but speculating anyway on the general
> point, it may be more than just "cheating." It may be the form of
> thinking that encourages probing weaknesses, finding flaws and
> loopholes (which is often what "cheating" is), and generally behaving
> as a "tiger team" member looking to break in or demolish something.
> I think there's a connection to this kind of problem-solving and
> cheating, and to "getting the juices flowing" and 'thinking outside the
> box." Cheating is a kind of "devious" thinking, which is essentially
>what thinking outside the box is.

I agree; fascinating stuff. Here's a paragraph on deviousness and psychopathy
as an adaptive trait you might find interesting:

...we speculate that evolution designed a subspecies of humans who use
deception and cheating to get resources from others but do not reciprocate. The
key characteristics of such a subspecies ought to be: skill at deception, lack
of concern for the suffering of others, ease and flexibility in the
exploitation of others, extreme reluctance to be responsible for others
(including, in the case of males, their own offspring), and total lack of real
concern for the opinion of others. These are psychopathic traits. The point
here is that psychopathy is not a disorder because psychopaths (and their
mental characteristics) are performing exactly as they were designed by natural
selection. According to this view, psychopathy is an adaptation.
Our theory is that, although nonpsychopaths are capable of some criminal
behaviour under the right (wrong) circumstances, psychopaths form a distinct
subgroup of humans who use distinct life-long deception reproductive strategies
under all circumstances.

***

Looks like some people around here are ahead of the curve.
"subspecimens of humanity", now theres a thought...

> My most productive years of crypto thinking were from 1988 to 1992,
> when I figured out a lot of the "undermining" things clued-in readers
> know about.
> And my best work at Intel was when I was, without any false modesty,
> Intel's top "smoke jumper," parachuting in to crisis situations and
> bulling my way around looking for weaknesses and points of attack. I
>solved a lot of problems by being very sneaky.
> Must be why some people here are so impressed by my charm.

Oh yeah? Did it ever occur to you that they might just have been sneaky and
devious enough themselves to figure out what a wily old puff adder like
yourself would want to hear? LOL

Interesting puzzle--though your handling of the drill-size issue
reminds me of a cautionary tale from my modeling and simulation class:

Beaming Engineer 1: "You know, I've been working on this all month--I think
Ive just invented the worlds most perfect chichen plucking machine!"

Doubtful Engineer 2: Really?

Engineer One: Surewell, under the assumption that the chickens are perfectly
spherical.

Though you're right that it's vitally important to find an elegant solution to
your problem, gotta watch out for those spherical chickens. I would have
thought the thing to do next is choose a range of actual drill bits capable of
drilling plutonium, note their properties and create a table of values by
working through the equation that way. Oh well.

~Faustine.

***

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine