Sunder writes:

> Should war in the Gulf commence, the Pentagon proposes to take
> radical new steps in media relations - 'unauthorised' journalists will be
> shot at. Speaking on The Sunday Show on Ireland's RTE1 last sunday veteran
> war reporter Kate Adie said she had been warned by a senior Pentagon
> official that uplinks, i.e. TV broadcasts or satellite phones, that are
> detected by US aircraft are likely to be fired on.

This is nothing new.  Radio and TV stations and other "unauthorized"
sources of information are always first on the target list whenever the US
starts a war.

I think the Pentagon spokeshomo put it this way.  "Propaganda outlets ARE
military targets."  Propaganda being anything not released by the
Pentagon, of course.

Have you seen this lovely new media room in Qatar that Hollywood is
building as a set for Iraq war briefings?

  <"In front of the stage, two 70-inch projection screens and five
   50-inch plasma screens will flash maps, graphics and crystal-clear
   video images of war-zone action. In the background will hang a
   soft-focus elongated map of the world, as if to imply that the
   entire globe is united behind the United States.>

  <"I like to achieve a level of detail that makes it difficult to
   distinguish a set from reality," Mr. Allison recently told the
   Times Union newspaper in Albany, N.Y.>

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/gtnews/TGAM/20030312/UTVTVM

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+