At 5:44 AM -0800 3/31/03, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:15:46AM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
>> 3. "Wicca" is a modern invention.
>
>   Hardly.
>WEIK- [2].   In words connectid  with magic and religious  notions (in
>          Germanic and Latin).  1. Germanic suffixed form *WIH-L- in Old
>English
>          WIGLE,  divination, sorcery, akin to the Germanic source of Old
>French
>          GUILE,  cunning trickery: GUILE.   2. Germanic  expressive form
>*WIKK-
>          in:  a. Old  English WICCA,  wizard, and  WICCE, witch: WITCH;
>b. Old
>          English  WICCIAN,  to cast  a spell:  BEWITCH.

My ODE defines Wicche as an obsolete word meaning witch.  Now, one can
argue whether the modern concept of Wicca has any relation to the old
northern European religions, but the word seems be based on fairly old
roots.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA