"fv sdfsaer" <freag...@hotmail.com> schrieb:

> Dear all,
>
> I have previously used this dabo solution with success, but I now run into
> the following problem.
> I always managed to use sqlite until now. But now I want to communicate with
> a Mysql database.
> This works fine in ubuntu linux, but it gives me a headache under windows
> (and please don't use the --stick to linux-- sentence, I am aware of that).
> Dabo installs fine (from source; not from binaries) but the third party
> python-mysql seems very messy. Since the developer explicitly states that he
> "doesn't do windows", I was hoping to get some advice over here.
>
> First of all I tried various installs, in different python versions,
> including binaries eggs and directly from source. None of them worked as for
> now.
>
> As for now I stick to trying to compile from source.
> Now this library seems to contain some C-code, which includes mysql.h (among
> some other stuff). Now this include confuses me for several reasons:
>
> Can someone maybe answer the following questions?
>
> -Does this mean that I need a working mysql version myself?
> -Does this mean that the code generated depends on the dll of my local mysql
> version?
> -Does it mean that I need a working mysql on any computer that will try to
> use my dabo code?
>
> Or even more severe (I did not read the code thoroughly -- but maybe someone
> else did so)
>
> -Does the C-code approaches the server internally --meaning that you actually
> can only access a database locally?
>
> Furthermore I also have some practical questions concerning this issue.
>
> -Probably a certain mysql dll and a couple of headers files will deal with
> the issue. Where can I find them?
> -Has anyone tried to compile this package from source on a windows machine
> and is willing to share his experience?

I think you probably need a "client install" of MySQL. That would give
you the needed dll (don't know about header files, never tried to
compile anything from source in Windows). I think Ubuntu pulls in
packages for such a client install as dependencies when you install
mysqldb, Windows is less helpful.

A quick look at www.mysql.com doesn't show separate client packages for
Windows - but a client-only install might be an installation option. I
know it is with Firebird.

HTH
Sibylle

--