alta...@ceid.upatras.gr wrote:
>> altanis .at. ceid .DOT upatras.gr wrote:
>>> I am trying to use the Report designer to make some Reports for an
>>> application I am building. The application is in greek, which
> incorporates
>>> some letters with accents. The accented letters appear as black boxes in
>>> the report, although no error is output in stdout.
>> What font are you using, and what are the unicode code points in question?
>>
>> Paul
>
> I tried all three "safe" fonts (ie Helvetica, Courier and Times-Roman),
> but the problem persisted. Also, The font in the preview didn't seem to
> change, as though the ReportDesigner was using some kind of fallback font
> for greek, which maybe doesn't have the accented characters.
>
> The code points in question, are probably all accented characters, ie
> 03AC, 03CC, 03AE, 03CE, although I didn't try them all.

The builtin type1 fonts don't contain greek, although they do have some latin.
So you
need to use an appropriate TrueType font. Getting the font registered with
reportlab
is something I've dealt with before but I need to do some research to remember
what I
needed to do.

Stay tuned, it can be done. It's something I want to get built in to
dReportWriter so
it isn't such an issue in the future.

I'll get an example working with the code points you gave me, and then post the
code.

Bug me if it hasn't happened within 24 hours (but I intend to get to it in the
next 3
hours).

If you do IRC I've been hanging out at irc.freenode.net on channel #dabo.

Paul