On Monday 14 September 2009 07:17:41 am jpoorra...@aol.com wrote:
> >Of course  if you hand coded the forms (not very hard) you could use both
>
> the
>
> >wx.MDIParentFrame and  wx.MDIChildFrame to subclass from.   Doing so will
> >allow all the Dabo features to work.
>
> John, we're  interesting in pursuing "hand coding" (although the
> ClassDesigner is  tantalizingly VFPish).
>
> Could  you
>
> a) provide  an example of a hand-coded form?
> b) suggest  a route to acquiring that skill, e.g., "python tutorial plus wx
> tutorial"  or whatever you think would speed the learning process.
>
> Thanks for  your help
>
> Jonathan  Poor

Sure I can.  But first please consider changing the UI.  I too was a very big
fan of VFP (over 20 years) and the MDI UI interface.  But I ran a little
experiment with one of my customers and guess what they told me - they liked
the SDI interface.  I was surprized to say the least.  I thought for sure
they would get confused, expecting everything under one window.  But it
wasn't long before they were explaining the benefits of the SDI window to me.
So please do some customer testing before giving up.

Also I wonder if Ed will provide a work around or commit a change to support
MDI.

Let me say right up front - hand coding forms takes longer than designing the
forms using ClassDesigner.  Specially if the form is very simple.

Having said the above the benefits have been many for my apps.

I started out with ClassDesigner but soon discovered that moving, adding,
deleting controls was not easy if you want to use sizers.  Then I had the
trouble of subclassed controls.  So I quickly became discouraged. I believe
ClassDesigner has improved since then.  But someone suggested hand coding.  I
had played with hand coding a VFP form in the past - it worked.  So I tried
it.  After all if you think about it, the C++ guys have been doing it for
years with QT, wxWidgets, X.

The learning curve was not to bad.  Now I can hand code a very complex form in
a very short time.  And most important I can change it at will - very
quickly.  Using subclassed controls and even creating a grid cell render is
no longer a problem.  I don't want to suggest I know everything - I don't.
In fact I bet I'd be a better Dabo programmer if I took the time to read a
wxPython book.

If you are really interested in hand coding contact me off list - I'll try to
help.

Did I just call myself a "Dabo Programmer" - wow how cool!

Johnf