On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 04:46:02 pm Simon Cropper wrote:
> Essentially Shapefiles store all their attribute data in Dbase III
> format. External packages can readily access these files IF they don't
> change the file structure, field names or change the code page. I can
> access these files via VFP, at a pinch, if I want to manipulate the data
> in a way the GIS package does not allow.

Simon just use the tools in PostGIS to deal with the ESRI shapefiles.  There
are both read and write tools.  If you need to change anything just read the
file in and change it via SQL - then write it back.  All of this can be done
with Dabo's interface to Postgres.

Check out the link:
http://www.postgis.org/docs/ch04.html#shp2pgsql_usage

The entire page should help you use Dabo and Postgres to get the job done.

Johnf