Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the links and replies. They all have provided valuable
insight into various options.

I will endeavour to go away and play around with these things.

Please accept that I am not being argumentative relating the options
proposed (e.g. using PostgreSQL+PostGIS) it is just that changing to
this model requires a complete rethink of my companies data storage
model, project management, client interactions, etc. Not something that
can be addressed lightly.

Moving to an open source OS and software has already created problems
for an industry lost in the past*. Moving too fast generally see one
standing alone as a pariah rather than an innovator.

* a good example is a recent move from a relational database model for
storage of plant and animal records in the state to a flat file where
taxonomic, biological, distributional data is repeated over and over for
every record. Apparently the relational database model is too confusing
for other biologists in the state.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Principal Consultant