Ed,

On 04/02/2011 15:28, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
>
>> With wx.lib.agw.aui I do things like this in my application (don't know
>> if one can do this in wx.aui or not)
>>
>>          self._mgr = aui.AuiManager()
>>          self._mgr.SetManagedWindow(self.mainPanel)
>>
>>          nb = aui.AuiNotebook(self.mainPanel, -1)
>>          nbp1 = AuiPanel(nb)
>>          nb.AddPage(nbp1, 'Notebook - p1', False)
>>
>>          nbp2 = AuiPanel(nb)
>>          nb.AddPage(nbp2, 'Notebook - p2', False)
>>
>> etc etc
>
>       It's much simpler if we stick to working on the Dabo level instead of
> the wx level. One of the goals of wrapping the control is that you don't need
> to concern yourself with the implementation details like AuiManager.
>
> frm = dabo.ui.dDockForm()
> cp = frm.CenterPanel
> dt = dabo.ui.dDockTabs(cp, PageCount=2)
> cp.Sizer.append1x(dt)
> frm.show()

Which is nice, but sorry not quit the same, but I would think it is
possible and I just don't see it.

In my case "AuiPanel" is a predefined page/panel (containing whatever
other controls) where as in your code dDockTabs creates two blank pages.

Have to use insertPage, i.e.
         dt.insertPage(0, aPane, caption='page 1')
         dt.insertPage(1, dabo.ui.dDockForm, caption='page 2')

But:-\ , it doesn't let me add another dDockForm without causing problems.

Sorry, back to wxPython sample code, I should have shown this before
that my AuiPanel above actually contains another AuiManager.

class AuiPanel(wx.Panel):
     def __init__(self, parent):
         wx.Panel.__init__(self, parent, -1)
         self._mgr = aui.AuiManager(self)

         p1 = wx.Panel(self, -1)
         self._mgr.AddPane(p1, aui.AuiPaneInfo().
             Name('content').Caption('Content').CenterPane())
         p2 = wx.Panel(self, -1)
         self._mgr.AddPane(p2, aui.AuiPaneInfo().
             Name('test').Caption('Test Pane'). Left().
             MinSize(wx.Size(200,
-1)).CloseButton(True).MaximizeButton(True).
             MinimizeButton(True))

Is it possible to tweak the following to allow the same?
dt.insertPage(1, dabo.ui.dDockForm, caption='page 2')

>> In its current state it is not usable for a "user" type admin tool, but
>> I think the infrastructure is really nice and instead of redoing it all
>> I wouldn't mind to have a go at it to make it just that little bit more
>> usable (in my view;-) ).
>       What do you mean by a "user" type admin tool?

A admin tool used by non technical end users.
>> What do I think that it needs to make it a bit more usable - i.e. to get
>> it to be a "user" type admin tool (at least for tables I call master
>> data, e.g. countries, code tables etc).
>>
>> - split the bizobj generation, i.e. allow to generate just the bizobj's
>> and then be able to manually adapt them (define parent/child relations,
>> define the I18n texts for caption, helptext and tooltip)
>> - change that all the screens (selection, grid and edit pages) are
>> generated of the existing bizobj's, with an option to pick up existing
>> bizobj's instead of generating them during this run.
>> - enhance the screen generations to handle parent/child relations with
>> dropdowns and not raw FK's
>>
>> If no one thinks this is enough of a step to make it more usable then I
>> will just try and do this for myself.
>       I might be premature, but it sounds like you are trying to make a new
> tool, not just making small changes to the current AppWizard. Remember, the
> design goal for that wizard was to create a fully-functional app in 30
> seconds or less; sort of what tools like Microsoft Access produced. You seem
> to want something with more flexibility and depth to it, and I think trying
> to retrofit that into the current tool would be inefficient.
It just feels to me that it is really close. Anyhow I will try to get a
better handle on Dabo (e.g. unlearn some of my wxPython knowledge) and
then revisit this later one.

Werner