That looks fantastic Werner, thanks.  It could well be the bit(s)
that I'm missing.

I have looked at the Wiki before and hadn't found this article (nor
the one Sibylle mentioned (thanks).

I'm trying to use the gui tools as much as I can.  I just don't have
the room in my head to remember all the stuff that goes with all the
command line things.  Fedora has packagekit, which seems to be
driving yum "around the back".

It looks like I might have a couple more issues because I'm using KDE
under Fedora, there was no package called python-wxgtk2.8, not indeed
python-mysqldb, but there appear to be packages that do have that
functionallity.

Then again, I seem to have *another* issue because I'm using
VirtualEnv, so it seems I need to use pip.  "Just type 'pip install
package-name'" it says.  Well, that fails to find these packages
either, even though they are at the update site.  Once I work out how
to get it to play nicely perhaps I'll be alright :-(

So I've got a bit more working out to do, but I think I'm much
further along now, thanks to this list.

Now to go and lie down in a darkened room before my head explodes...
Again :-(

Mark