On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Ingo Liebhardt <ingo.liebha...@ziggo.nl>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I see that a lively discussion was started by my mail.
> I’ll try to combine as many replies into one single e-mail as possible.
>
> 1. The trees and branches as test image: the colour artifacts in this
> image are larger areas, not just one or two pixels (like in the black tie).
> This makes it more difficult to treat them via noise reduction. That’s one
> reason I chose this image for torture testing.
>
> 2. All the new test images from the X70: thanks a lot for these, they are
> great for testing! I’m still busy with the bird at this time, but I’ll go
> through them one by one as soon as I find some time.
>
> 3. The bird image: this is very interesting and revealing! I have a
> prototypic implementation of my algorithm in matlab (slow and can handle
> only very small images). I took your OOC JPEG, mosaiced, and demosaiced the
> most critical part of the bird again. No problematic dots,
> see ‚bird_matlab‘ in the usual dropbox location. Bird_ml_test shows a CPSNR
> of 42.48 dB. Folks dealing with demosaicing might identify this as a
> very respectable value for a difficult image area. So my conclusion is that
> the problem is not with my algorithm per se, but with my openCL
> implementation. I continue working on this topic for the time being. As it
> appears to be only the implementation and not the algorithm per se it
> _must_ be solvable.
>
> 4. My contrast curve and colors: I know it’s everything but ideal, but it
> was a quick and dirty way to get an ‚infrastructure‘ for my implementation
> by using dcraw. For the time being, this is also my best way of continuing
> the tests, until I get something more evolved.
>
> 5. This brings me to the question of Dan: yes, it should be possible to
> get my algorithm into darktable to enable a broader range of testing. This
> is ultimately still my goal. I’m just not there yet, so please be a bit
> patient, especially since this is just a little hobby of mine. I’m not a
> programmer (at least not in the classical sense) by profession, and all I
> know about demosaicing is self-taught. However, after re-checking the bird
> image as described above, I’m quite confident things are moving into the
> right direction.
>
> Cheers,
> Ingo

Ingo, I've added a 5th image to my set (the puppy) which shows the
grid/speckle artifact much more strongly than the image #1 (the bird) does.

As soon as I saw this puppy I knew he was going to be trouble for X-Trans...

http://www.nevermindhim.com/fuji-xtrans-samples

A bit of sharpening helps make the grid pop out.

If you set DT's demosaic mode to VNG, you'll see a much stronger zipper
artifact along the same lines that Markesteijn shows the speckles on.