Hi community,

I like the idea to improve the UI and I appreciate the enthusiasm Aurelien
has put into it!

Darktable is a very nice piece of software feature-wise. Their developers
have created some great, feature-rich, wonderful tool in their spare time
and we are all very thankful for that. We love darktable, we love the many
ways we can make our images better. Darktable is so good that a community
has been evolved caring about it, and we, the community, are greateful for
the developers to have crafted this wonderful non-destructive photo-editor.

Over the past years I have read many usability improvement requests in the
mailing list. This clearly shows how huge the demand is to improve that
part of the software. What is a feature worth if it can not be understood
or found or is too cumbersome to be used?

In this thread we can read many nice requests that may be very valuable for
darktable. I like Aureliens suggestions and others too.  You know,
sometimes less is more and making the UI more simple is helping more than
adding new elements like customization and search bars - but I also think
these features would be nice.

UI Design is hard. You need to know the featureset you are targeting for
and you need to play the new UI through often because each iteration
usually reveals other issues (I know this part very well from my current
professional situation). User eXperience designers can be very valuable and
helpful here and if anyone would offer for volunteering to make the UX
better would be a big win for the community!

I think it would be great if we can create a feature request wiki where
each contributor describes what exactly he means (his vision),
referencing/contrasting the other suggestion-articles. Each community
member can comment on these and drive them and with productive feedback. A
final vote could bring us the clarity of what the users of the software
desire the most.

Kind regard
Dave