But even if we keep the actual disposition, don't you think it's weird
that :

  * in/out color profiles are stored in the color tabs, whereas they are
    "basic" in the sense they are needed from technical requirements and
    always on,
  * signal-processing modules are mixed with creative ones
  * you get sharpen in enhancements and high-pass in effects, but they
    do exactly the same thing
  * same for local-contrast and wavelet equalizer
  * same for the crop/flip and the perspective correction.

I mean, even with my own workflow set apart, I just think it would make
sense to separate technical and creative modules completely. And by
technical, I mean everything related to image reconstruction and
normalization (things you would do in Matlab). Especially since the
technical modules mostly come early in the pipe, it would make sense to
have them grouped explicitely so that you set them first. Because late
modules like levels and tonecurves depend on the exposure and
tonemapping set earlier in the pipe, so if you begin with the curves and
end with the tonemapping, you will have to redo the curves. Not funny.

Same with unbreak color profile and contrast/lightness/saturation. In
both cases, they perform a gamma correction, but the former does it in
RGB before the input color profile, while the later does it in Lab much
later in the pipe, and they are both specialized on different issues :
don't try to get creative with the unbreak color profile, it should be
used to put the average lightness at 50 % L(ab), nothing else.

Let the UI reflect that, because I have used dt for 7 years, and it's
only now that I look at the code that I understand what's going on. To
be efficient, there are things you need to fix first, for example before
the ICC input profile is applied, and in RGB. A regular user doesn't
stand a chance to figure out what comes first when the unbreak color
profile module is hidden between creative color modules.

And that's just an example. If you don't follow at least roughly the
pixelpipe order, you will end up passing 2-5 times on each module,
whereas it could be done in 2 passes in a reproductible way, fixing
first, tweaking after.

What I would like is to draw a path between critical milestones, that is
between the technical requirements that should be met :

 1. having your tonal range mapped between 16 % and 96 % L(ab) before
    you apply any input profile, otherwise you mess up the saturation
    and shift the colors
 2. linearize the tones (beat up the contrast) early and add contrast
    late in the pipe,
 3. having the contrast fixed in RGB as much as possible to avoid
    de/over-saturation,
 4. fix the color after you fix the contrast and lightness, especially
    if you work in Lab modules
 5. normalize the histogram just at the end
 6. …

The main problem I have with the current disposition is low-level stuff
comes last in the UI.