In darktable, the gui version, I cropped an image, then turned crop off.  I
went back to lighttable and created a style, croff, from the crop off
history item.

I modified darktable-cli to initialize the data library, take the style
argument and --append which says append the style to the history stack
versus replace the history stack (which would wipe out all the edits).

The first 4 arguments are to darktable-cli, the --core is to pass the
remaining arguments to the darktable instance that gets started from
darktable-cli.  The argument --configdir /home/bill/.config/dttest, tells
darktable where to find the data.db that has the croff style.

I tested the crop off style and a noise reduction style and both worked, so
I would think that just about any style that can be constructed would work.