On 12/11/18 10:07 PM, Terry Duell wrote:

The requirement for uncropped images seriously complicates the task if using darktable-cli. The request is to have a 'crop=0' switch (or similar) for darktable-cli...if that is possible, and reasonable.

That would start a trend of having to propagate a lot of switches out to darktable-cli, which wouldn't end well.  Everything needed to bend darktable to your will is already in the sidecar (XMP) file that goes with each image.  What's missing is an alternate sidecar with the cropping turned off that could be handed to darktable-cli.

I did the following manually for a single image and it produced the right thing:

1.  Make a copy of the image's sidecar file (cp image.nef.xmp image.nef.xmp-nocrop).

2.  Edit the copy (vi image.nef.xmp-nocrop), locate all of the rdf:li items where darktable:operation is "clipping" and change darktable:enabled to "0".  This process can be automated with xsltproc or XMLStarlet.  The latter is available on all three of the platforms where darktable is supported.  (You could probably get away with some sneaky sed-based tricks, but I don't recommend that because the arrangement of the XML shouldn't be considered stable.  Use the right tool for the job.)

3.  Run darktable-cli against the image and edited XMP to produce an uncropped version of the image (darktable-cli image.nef image.nef.xmp-nocrop image-uncropped.jpg).

4.  Harvest the uncropped image for distribution and remove it and the edited sidecar if you don't want to keep them around.

Turning it into a shell script that can operate against any set of files you choose should be an easy exercise.  (It's an interesting enough problem that I might do it myself.)

HTH.

--Mark