Hi,
It is difficult to say that it is a "rule".
In French, for instance, the uppercase at the beginning of a sentence is
"orthographic".
This means that the lack of such an uppercase letter violates an
orthographic rule.
It is the same, BTW (and in French), for the diacritics on uppercase
letters.

So, maybe there is this kind of a *rule* in other languages also.

Regards

Jean-Luc