Hello,

what graphics card to get for using Darktable with OpenCL under Linux?

I already have an Asus M5A97 evo R2 mainboard, with an PCIe 2.0 x16
slot for the graphics card.  I want to stay in the price range below
200€.  I do not play games, nor do I use 3D graphics software of any
kind.  Darktable will be the most demanding task for this piece of
hardware.

The Darktable manual mentions a minimum of 1GB of graphics memory to
be sufficient [1].  Is this up-to-date information?  Does DT benefit
from more more?  How much more?

There seem to be different versions of OpenCL [2].  Is that an issue
when deciding which card to buy?  What does Darktable need here?

NVidia graphics cards seem to differ in “compute ability”, which seems
to be the CUDA version [3] they support.  What is required here for
Darktable?  Is there something similar to look out for with AMD Radeon
cards?

The manual [4] mentions “recent” AMD Radeon HD7xxx to work out of the
box.  According to Wikipedia [5] that series was introduced in 2011
and had its latest update in 2013.  Also, it seems to be difficult to
buy any of these now (I don't want to buy used hardware).  Is there
more current information available?

Does anyone have information on / experience with Radeon R7 or similar
(i.e., GCN family of cards [6])?  They seem to be available for under
100€ currently [7].

A list of NVidia GPUs with CUDA-support (I guess that's required for
OpenCL on NVidia) is here [10].

Most graphics cards I've seen are not actually built by AMD or NVidia,
but rather by 3rd party manufacturers (MSI, ASUS, Palit, Zotac,
Gainward, Gigabyte, PNY, ...) using their GPUs.  Is there any
particularly good / bad one to choose?

What else to pay attention to?

Thanks for helping
Stefan

BTW: The link “darktable user mailing list” [8] on [9] is outdated.

____________________
[1] http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch10s02s03.html.php
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Version_features_and_specifications
[4] http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch10s02s06.html.php
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Graphics_Core_Next-family
[7] https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?fs=Radeon%20R7&cat=gra16_512
[8]
http://www.darktable.org/resources/darktable-user+subscr...@lists.darktable.org
[9] http://www.darktable.org/resources/
[10] https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                      o/X
Send plain text messages only, not exceeding 32kB.            /\/